Eight hundred years ago, A Sufi monk wrote a book of poems that he called Walled Gardens. He wrote from his faith’s perspective, in his language and to the people of his Persian culture, and yet, as poetry makes possible, he speaks to me.
By Sanai’s inspiration, I offer my own poem, reflecting some of the monk’s existentialism but adding a bit of my own perspective. Poetry also allows this, and I make no apologies for rewriting someone else’s poem and applying it to my own language and faith and life.
I do not pretend to understand Sufiism, nor will I let it threaten my Christian beliefs or Western biases. To the contrary, just as I hear some of Ecclesiastes, or maybe Hemingway, in Sanai’s poetry (“The sun also rises!”), I appreciate that it is the same sun that rises on us all.
Standing in an Open Field
The sun of truth rises unbidden,
and with it sets the moon of learning.
In this halt of just a week,
to be is not to be, and to come is to go.
- Sanai, tr. David Pendlebury
For all that I know,
that which I’ve learned,
I am a moon that mirrors
a distant fire:
I watch the sun rise,
and my reflected brilliance
fades with the light of day.
For all that I know,
that which I’ve found,
I am a rooster that crows
in the early dawn:
I watch the sun rise,
and my hallelujahs
fade with the light of day.
For all that I know,
that which I suppose,
I am a wildflower in
a garden of shadows:
I watch the sun rise,
but my morning glory
fades with the light of day.
As long as I am living
the sun will shine,
and the sun will shine
when I am gone,
and the moon will rise
and the rooster will crow
and the shadows will stir
and the gardens will grow.
For all that I know,
that which I believe,
life is a blessing
beyond understanding:
I will watch the sun rise
for as long as I can
until I fade with the light of day.
As long as I am living
the sun will shine,
and the moon will rise
and the rooster will crow
and the sun will shine
when I am gone,
and the shadows will stir
and the gardens will grow.
As long as I am living
and when I’m gone,
the shadows will stir
in this garden of mine
and the sun will shine
and the rooster will crow.
Hallelujah for all I know!
No comments:
Post a Comment