Thursday, March 20, 2014

I PRAISE I-PAD

It’s time to tell you what it means to us
Dick’s I-Pad is often at our table
Rude distraction?  Maybe at times
But this morning redeemed rudeness.
I told husband of a book I had just
Finished (on Kindle.  Are we wired or what?)
Name, Lady of Milkweed Manor,
Main character, Charlotte Lamb,
A pastor’s daughter in early-nineteenth-century
 Kent.  Disgraced her family.
Pregnant.  Much of setting was a
Lying-in hospital in London, with
Milkweed messily in the garden.
Much of the story was of wet nurses
Common at that time, and Charlotte
Became one, a wet nurse.
But oh, the interweaving of milkweed
And milk, and foundlings, and
Compassionate nursing.
Plus the therapeutic medicinal values
Of milkweed.
Then!  Dick said, “During World War II
We went out into the fields during
School, and picked milkweed
‘For the war effort’.”
“What was that about, anyway?”
So he looked it up on his I-pad.
Sure enough, a picture of
School children
Pointing proudly at sacks hanging
Over their heads,
Filled with milkweed floss
That would go to munitions plants
And be used for life preservers and vests
In the place of kapok.
Thank you, I-pad, for starting our day
Fulfilled with new knowledge!

Marilyn Jaeger




No comments:

Post a Comment