This is dedicated to Dick's Mom, Evelyn Patricia Rebman Jaeger, who is 100 years old today! We just noticed on our salt box in the cupboard that Morton Salt and the girl with the yellow dress and umbrella is also 100 years old. After returning from my first visit to Kaukauna, Wisconsin and meeting my future in-laws, I said and wrote, "They are the salt of the earth!"
Here's my poem from Arizona:
LIONESS
by Marilyn Patricia Elstad Jaeger
If the Lion of Judah is Jesus
And within myself he abides
Am I lioness
With wondrous prowess?
No greater claim I'd confide.
Dan named his first son Josef Lev;
Lev meaning Lion, and Dan, "lion's whelp"
Out of Bashan Leaping,
Oath of Israel keeping:
Same vict'ry and courage, our help!
In Tubac an abstract leonine
Captured my imagination
It hangs on the wall
Inspiring all
Who dare likewise sublimination.
A "Leo" is ninth grandchild Lia,
Leos' babies claim they're center stage.
I don't have much truck
With zodiac stuff,
The Lion 'mongst stars, who can gauge?
So Lion I take for a mascot
In Arizona, Champaign or in Prague.
Now hear me roar!
Do you ask What for?
Add "Lioness" to family blog.
A fascinating coincidence: Katerina texted me yesterday morning to ask how old Dick's mother was as her class was considering the elderly and how some stay spry. We send our greetings to her and celebrate the abundance of life God has given us. Also celebrating this tracing of lions--I hadn't heard of Danb before! And 'whelp' is a great Whitmanesque word! Thanks for this poem. It inspired mine today, as I'll post in a minute...
ReplyDelete