Mad Cow Disease, revised
by Marilyn Jaeger
(I really meant this as a joke, but Dick thought it was far too negative an ending...)
Grandma J took
the girls out awalking
In a red wagon, they
fit oh so fine.
Up Sawmill Road, back
through the green fields
Finally bumping ‘cross
corn in a line.
Molly was four, and
Lia just two
Wide-eyed and precious
as gold.
Mom and Dad Potter,
gone on a date
With Grandma in
charge, safe, we’re told!
Of course the bumping
soon brought a spill.
No problem, and the
little girls giggled.
Small problem, the
field was full of manure,
So into a suds bath
they wiggled.
Now years later we
always can wonder:
Were there really
latent effects?
Mad cow disease?
Can that be their excuse?
If ever met with less than success?
Two
teens, achievers, lights in our sky,
Expanding
their learning wide.
Even
failure is a teacher, sometimes the best kind,
But
no mad cow we will ever abide!
Indeed the final stanza caps this contemplation on a Woebegone episode (and we were considering 'Woebegon' or 'Karamazov' as a title to our symposia--alas, 'Stillwater' won the run-off). I remember that radial flyer with optional walls--perhaps not as scary as the sit-down scooters reeling down the paved driveway! I'd take a spill into cow dung over asphalt scrapes any day! Mad Cow had its 15 minutes of fame, Ebola (ironically) never really entered the American scene to take on far more minutes of hysteria. But in these analogues, we do evaluate our own ways to cope. Iago has a fascinating line concerning the conditions of Othello's present agon: "I see, sir, you are eaten up with passion. / I do repent me that I put it to you." In other words, Iago admits (honestly!) that he is the cause for the craze that grips his master. It begs huge questions: does jealously (in Othello's case but thematically in anyone's) stem from within or without? Does an external cause (Iago, Mad Cow) direct an internal result? As symposia go, we'll have ample time to revisit this summer!
ReplyDelete